Home » News » How to Renew a Green Card

How to Renew a Green Card

posted in: News 0

What is a Green Card?

Permanent Resident Cards

A Permanent Resident Card, also called a Green Card or a Form I-551, is given to people with lawful permanent resident status, with a permanent right to live and work in the United States. The green card also serves as proof and evidence of your immigration registration in compliance with U.S. immigration laws.

The Immigration and Nationality Act in Section 264 provides that, “Every alien in the United States shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations.”….”Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him. Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.”

The procedures and specific requirements for applying to renew an expiring Green Card are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR § 264.5.

Visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Answers to find out more information about how to renew an expired Green Card.

This page can be found at http://www.usaimmigrationlawyer.org/renew-green-card

Who Should Renew a Green Card?

If you are a Green Card holder or permanent resident who was issued a Green Card valid for ten years and the Permanente Residence Card is either expired or will expire within the next six months, then you should renew your Green Card.

Conditional Residents If you are a Conditional Resident Green Card holder and your status is expiring, you must (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) to apply to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status.

How Can I Apply to Renew My Green Card?

Green Card Renewal Application

You need to file Form I-90 to renew your Green Card, if you are a lawful permanent resident whose ten-year green card has expired or will expire within the next six months. Read the Form I-90 carefully. In the instruction part of the form, you will find detailed information about the Form I-90. You may file Form I-90 online using an Internet connection using E-Filing. To start the process of renewal of your green card, please click here.

What should I do if I am Outside of the United States?

Green Card Expiration Abroad

If your permanent resident card will expire within six months, (but you will return within one year of your departure from the United States and before the Green Card expires) and you are outside the United States, as soon as you return to the United States you should file the renewal of your green card.

If you are outside of the United States at the time of the Green Card’s expiration, and you have not applied for the renewal permanent resident card prior to your departure, you should contact the closest American Consulate, USCIS office, or Port of Entry, before attempting to file Form I-90 for a renewal I-551 permanent resident card. Find out complete information about how to renew your expired green card visiting this page www.usaimmigrationlawyer.org/faq2greencard.htm

To see more information about USCIS office locations, filing fees, fee waiver request procedures, and the fee waiver policy memo, contact a USCIS Field Office.

How to Find Out the Status of a Green Card Application?

Green Card Application Status

If you have a question which relates to immigration, you can call the USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC). You must be ready to provide the USCIS staff with specific information about your application, such as your receipt number, Alien Registration Number, name, and date of birth. Click here for complete instructions on how to check the Case Status of your application online.

How to Appeal the denial of a Green Card Renewal Application?

If after applying for a renewal of your Green Card your application was denied, you will receive a letter that will explain to you why the application was denied. You will not be able or allowed to appeal a negative decision, but you can submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the same office that made the unfavorable decision. You will have the right to ask the USCIS office to reexamine or reconsider its decision. The motion to reopen your case must state the new facts that should be considered to re-open your case and must be accompanied by all the appropriate documentary evidence. A motion to reconsider must establish that the decision to deny your green card application was based on an incorrect application of the law or immigration policy, and further establish that the decision, according to the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made, was not correct.

To learn more about U.S. Immigration and view the answer to immigration questions visit www.usaimmigrationlawyer.org/faq

If you need advice you can contact an immigration attorney, however, if you can not afford to pay a lawyer, the USCIS District Office closest to your home, may provide a list of organizations that may be able to assist you with the preparation of your application. To locate the field office serving the area where you live, please click here to find the USCIS field office serving your local area.

You may ask questions online or by phone to an accredited and licensed immigration attorney going to Ask a Lawyer to submit your questions online and receive answers by email or to schedule a phone consultation with an expert US immigration attorney. You may also review the Immigration FAQs for general U.S. immigration information about several topics.